Whether or not you are a first time home buyer, the experience can be exciting and scary all at the same time. When you are feeling overwhelmed, it never hurts to hear some helpful advice. Here are our top seven tips to think about when searching for your new home.
- Look at the homes in person as soon as you can. If you wait too long, you may not get your chance. Procrastinators beware.
- A second opinion from an advisor can be super helpful, but make sure you are bringing someone who truly knows your needs. An opinionated friend that doesn’t have a good understanding of what you need can hurt more than help.
- Making a priority list is important, but remember that the “perfect house” may not exist.
- You’ve heard it a million times. Location, location, location. Don’t forget it! Your dream home may not be all its cracked up to be in a neighborhood with no grocery stores or a two hour commute to work.
- Ignore the decor. A fully staged house will look completely different when you get a hold of it. Visualize the home without furniture as well, and try to picture the possibilities.
- Get pre-approved before you begin looking! If there are multiple offers on a home and you are ready to move, but you’re not pre-approved yet, you likely won’t have a chance.
- Avoid house hunting on your own. It’s easy to browse online, but working with a real estate agent will make all of the difference. Sellers often pay the buyer’s agent’s fee and they will provide insight that you wouldn’t think of in a million years. When it’s time to negotiate a contract, you will be glad to have a professional looking out for your best interests.
Happy hunting! If you need any help, feel free to reach out at email@example.com.